[Edu-sig] Where are the girl programmers?

Dr. David J. Ritchie, Sr. djrassoc01@mindspring.com
Fri, 04 Jan 2002 23:02:58 -0600

Dear Jeff, et. al.,

Interesting questions. Here are my experiences...

Jeff Sandys wrote:

> I have been trying to get and keep a broad range of
> middle school students in the after school programming
> club that I supervise.  Some girls show up to the first
> sesson but by the second session only the "geek boys"
> return.

I have had some success in keeping girls involved in the
Middle School computer clubs that I have done.  It hasn't
been overwhelming but they have had a presence.  Generally,
I have had about 30% girls ( 4 out of 12).  In one Mars Space camp
I did we had more than half girls.

> Some of the suggestions from some female
> programmers that I work with are:
>
> * Girls want a woman instructor. (I wish)

In all cases, my partner (an instructional aide or a teacher) has been
a woman. Actually, I think it is very advisable to have a woman
partner - certified teacher or instructor -  these days--particularly
when one is a volunteer as I am and not a certified teacher--and
particularly when it is an after-school activity.

During the sign up period, the teacher / instructor has been very
instrumental in encouraging particular students who would appear
to be interested but perhaps a bit reticient -- even to the point of
encouraging one to get a friend to also come to the Computer Club
sessions.

> * Girls want to solve problems not program. (give problems)

My tack has been neither.  The focus has been to treat programming
as a "language art".  The goal for the several club sessions has been
to end up with each student writing an interactive adventure story
where adventure really means any story that the student wants to write
that involves scenes, experiences, and choices where the choices than
dictate the next scenes, experiences and choices to be had.  This is similar
to the game "Adventure" that came out a long time ago or similar to the
"Choose Your Own Adventure" books that are available.

> * Girls think in terms of objects not functions.
>     (focus on object oriented programming)

I have not done that.  My previous several club sessions have been using
Perl and the approach has been fairly procedural.  This Fall I am doing
something very similar but in Python where I have tried to embrace the
object oriented approach.  I don't think the girls have taken to it any more
(or any less) than the boys.

> * Girls like to socialize. (use pairs programming)

It has been helpful to have the girls partner with someone of their own
choosing.  It's also occurred with the boys as well. It's been important to
remember (for me) that a club is supposed to be more of a social experience
overall and (for me) to not be too heavy duty goal oriented.  Fortunately,
my partner teacher/instructional-aides have tended to know more of where
the kids are coming from and push things in a more balanced direction.

> I want to avoid stereotypes, but some differences may
> be genetic or an archtype that won't change in the
> short term.  Like sports, it needs a special effort
> to start getting more women involved in programming.

I don't think this is the case--at least in my experience.  As an instructor
in this area, I do have to make sure I am sensitive to >all< students' requests
for help.  The guys tend to yammer at me and will dominate my entire time.
The girls will ask less forcefully.  I have learned that I have to notice when a
guy is making too much use of my time and make sure that I get around to the
each girl and give her her share of attention.  Again, my partners have helped.
We talk about each individual and how they are doing after each session and
try to adapt the next session's time to whatever we see as necessary for their
development.

> What are your thoughts on getting and keeping more
> middle school girls involved in programming?

You can see more of my experiences on my web site (address
given below) where my Perl computer club efforts since 1997
are written up.

--D.

--
Dr. David J. Ritchie, Sr.