[Edu-sig] "One Day of IDLE Toying" web guide available (fwd)

Jason Cunliffe Jason Cunliffe" <jasonic@nomadics.org
Thu, 3 Jan 2002 10:48:18 -0500

> I've written a small introductory guide to IDLE that may help new
> students.  It's a graphical guide and limited to showing the ropes with
> IDLE, and should help those who are just beginning to learn programming.
>
>     http://hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu/~dyoo/python/idle_intro/index.html

Yes. Good idea to have a basic introduction like this including sequential
screenshots.

One thing which immediately hung me up when I started Python is where one
can and should saves files to and what happens when Python cannot find them,
and how to fix that.

I think it woudl be really good if you can also cover that aspect, including
the normal alternate to IDLE's 'run' which is Python's essential import
statement.

It is almost impossible to get going with Python without import, or for that
matter editing the python PATH, and changing directories. These things are
very confusing for beginners imo. They belong in your tutorial.

As soon as someone tries to use a package or even a simple module like a
beginner's hello_world.py  file they may have written, they are likely to
find it will not load unless these issues are addressed.

thanks and keep up the good work!
./Jason