[Edu-sig] IDLE problems with Tkinter

Dr. David J. Ritchie, Sr. djrassoc01@mindspring.com
Fri, 22 Feb 2002 08:40:31 -0600

In regard to what Tim Wilson wrote:

> ...Now
> we're getting to the point of playing with Tkinter a bit and I find that
> many, if not all, of the Tkinter apps I try don't exit cleaning and end
> up hanging IDLE. We're using Python 2.2 on Win95, but the same thing
> happend with Win98. Running the programs from the DOS shell seems to
> work fine.
>
> Is this a known problem with IDLE?

Yes, it is a known problem (to me anyway).  In the release notes for Python
on
the Mac there is the following info.  I recommend you check the release
notes
on your installation.

----------------------------

Known problems
--------------

This list is probably incomplete, more problems may be listed on the
MacPython homepage,
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack/macpython.html.

- The IDE and Tkinter do not work together. Run tkinter programs under
PythonInterpreter.
- Tkinter file events do not work, unless you have opened the file through
Tcl (but then
  you cannot access it from Python).
- PythonInterpreter used interactively will eat a lot of processor cycles.
You should use
  PythonIDE for interactive work and PythonInterpreter for scripts only.
This is especially
  true under OSX.
-------------------------------

I and my kids in my Middle School club where we run Python on Windows NT
tend to
use the editor for what I think is IDLE and then run the script using the
run option under
the edit menu.  That seems to work ok for the kinds of Tkinter and Python
things we
have been doing.  We don't use the interactive window at all.
Perhaps, we just haven't run into things yet though.

> Thanks for any input anyone can provide.
>
> -Tim
>
> --
> Tim Wilson      |   Visit Sibley online:   | Check out:
> Henry Sibley HS |  http://www.isd197.org   | http://www.zope.com
> W. St. Paul, MN |                          | http://slashdot.org
> wilson@visi.com |  <dtml-var pithy_quote>  | http://linux.com

You are welcome...