[Edu-sig] Python for Algorithms and Data Structures...

Laurent Pierron Laurent.Pierron@loria.fr
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 11:26:37 +0200

Hi there...

I'm trying to convince my colleague teachers to teach the science of
computer programming with Python.

It's not a problem to teach very basic computer programming with Python,
but the major concurrent is VisualBasic which is more sexy with the
graphic studio. For my colleagues now teaching basic computer
programming is point-and-click to draw a nice interface and add some
magic sentences to   enforce the computer to do something, it's a
non-sense and give a bad idea to the difficulty to think like a computer
scientist.

To teach "serious" computer programming (algorithm and data structure)
there is some problems using Python, in France the course of algorithmic
contains a large part about pointers (no pointers in Python), about
Pascal-like record and data types, it's independant of the language but
very Pascal-oriented.

It's not dfficult to teach Pascal-like record with empty classes.
Data types is just a matter of convention.
But how to introduce pointer with Python, pointer is very important in
computer science because it's very used in C and C++, and C/C++ are very
used in computer science ?

--
Laurent PIERRON                    -*- mailto:Laurent.Pierron@loria.fr

Ingénieur de développement
Service SeDre : http://www.loria.fr/LORIA/EXT/services/SEDRE/

INRIA-Lorraine / LORIA             -*-     bureau : B 042
615, rue du Jardin Botanique       -*- mobile/SMS : +33 6 72 23 03 80
B.P. 101                           -*-       voix : +33 3 83 59 30 93
54602 Villers les Nancy (France)   -*-        fax : +33 3 83 27 83 19