[Edu-sig] Role Reversal...

Peter H. Froehlich pfroehli@ics.uci.edu
Thu, 22 Aug 2002 12:36:10 -0700

Hi!

I read the "teaching by role reversal" discussion, and while I like
the general idea, I have to admit (maybe I am getting too old) that
it sounds like quite a risky project.

In my experience, many (most?) students are just not interested,
all they need is a grade. The five exceptions to the rule per
quarter make teaching fun. That might be a function of the US
system, but I have the weird feeling that most of my class would
stare at me blankly when I say "Okay, so those are the basics of
hash tables. Now give me some problems regarding the data structure
that I can solve for you." or something.

On the other hand, maybe I am not getting the approach described
correctly, or maybe I would even be surprised by the response once
I do it in class. I think I will give it a whirl once or twice
during the coming quarter, just to see what happens.

Peter
--
Peter H. Froehlich []->[!]<-[] http://nil.ics.uci.edu/~phf/