[Edu-sig] re: Does edu-sig extend to Jython

Kirby Urner urnerk@qwest.net
Wed, 21 Aug 2002 07:42:51 -0700

>To me, the interactive Python shell is just as important and significant a
>feature of Python as the clear, elegant syntax.

I agree with this.  Shell mode is a great place to "think in Python".

Note:  There are a couple of Java add-ons that give some of this flavor
to Java as well, e.g. DynamicJava http://koala.ilog.fr/djava/ which I've
not tested.  BeanShell is another.  http://www.beanshell.org/intro.html

And of course, first and foremost in our circle, there's Jython, the
Python/Java hybrid which in many ways brings the best of both worlds
(Python's easy syntax and standard library, Java's huge class library)
into very close association.

Kirby