[Edu-sig] Re: [Tutor] Girls, women and Programming (- and Python)

Dethe Elza delza@mac.com
20 Aug 2002 10:02:32 -0700

Great discussion, all.

On Tue, 2002-08-20 at 02:46, Bea Fontaine wrote:
> > [*] I am in fact a house dad, I look after the kids while lean earns
> > the money.  Simply because we dont believe in placing young kids in
> > someones care 8-10 hours a day while we both work and Leanne wanted to
> > make use of her education.,
>
> Good for you! Sadly, statistics prove that the number of families who
> can live safely on one income is rather small in Europe and also that
> women usually earn a good bit less than their mates, no matter in what
> profession. So I am happy to hear that it works out for you.

It's hard to live on one income in Canada too.  I would prefer to be at
home with the kids--I ended up with more nuturing genes than my wife.
Unfortunately, we would be pretty strapped living on what she could earn
as a linguist or ESL instructor, while we live pretty well on what I
earn as a programmer.  So I work and she stays with the kids for now, at
least until Grandma moves closer.

On the bright side, I've been able to telecommute at lot and be home
with the kids, so I haven't missed their growing up entirely.

--Dethe