[Edu-sig] The Educational Robotics Platform

Jonathan Pennington Jonathan Pennington <john@coastalgeology.org>
Mon, 19 Mar 2001 18:44:04 -0500

* Dirk-Ulrich Heise <hei@adtranzsig.de> [010319 02:43]:
> are free software alternatives, like
> a Forth: http://www.hempeldesigngroup.com/lego/pbFORTH/
> for those that want to continue programming
> the RCX.

I'll be certain to put that on the website! I didn't know about that
at all.

> Of course, using a PC104 gives you a lot
> more memory, but i have some concerns:
> - PC104 are much more expensive than MPUs
> - You'll need a lot of battery power
> If you can tell me where to find a PC104
> for 100$, the first concern would be gone.
> You are mentioning http://www.tri-m.com/
> as a low-cost resource for PC104 modules; what
> do they charge for a module?

Not yet, but they are rapidly coming down. The MZ104 module from Tri-M
is $240 in single lots. I'm hoping that they and other smaller (386,
etc) systems will continue to fall in price. Until then, there's
really not much Pythonistas can do. I'm looking at the rabbit
http://www.rabbitsemiconductor.com and similiar uController units, but
they will be in addition to, not as opposed to, a PC/104 option. The
problem is fitting a Python interpreter in *any* uC system. I'm
working on many options though. The whole point is not limiting the
idea.

If there's enough interest, I'd be more than happy to start a list for
this and related discussions (it's bound to get off the edu-sig
topic). Just give me the word. The more you all "complain" about the
idea and my solutions, the more we broaden the possible offerings of
the project.

-J
--
Jonathan Pennington	|	john@coastalgeology.org

	 "A computer without windows is like a dog
	    without bricks tied to its head."