[Edu-sig] cgi...

Dethe Elza delza@alliances.org
Tue, 19 Jun 2001 14:37:58 -0700

> I need create a cgi to change password in passwd. What's modules I
> use?

The cgi module will give you access to the parameters passed in from the web
page.  How you change passwd is highly dependent on how your linux box is
set up.  If you're using shadow passwords I don't really know how to change
them, and you'd have to be root to do it (not a good idea for a cgi script).
On the other hand, if you're just using /etc/passwd directly it's mostly
just a string exchange, but would still have to be run as root.

Changing the passwd from a CGI program sounds like opening a huge security
hole on your system, no matter how you do it.  If you're trying to manage
web accounts, perhaps you should consider a membership system which is
external to the filesystem security (something like LDAP, for instance).

I hope this helps.

--

Dethe Elza
Chief Mad Scientist