[Edu-sig] programming for artists

Jason Cunliffe Jason Cunliffe" <jasonic@nomadicsltd.com
Tue, 5 Jun 2001 15:04:13 -0700

"Dethe Elza" <delza@alliances.org> wrote:

> I would love to see a book like this.  If I can figure out an appropriate
> chunk, I'd be interested in contributing as well.  I think the application
> of Python to multimedia is key to "Programming for the Fun of It."

Great!

What is closest to your passion and skill?
What would you like like most to learn/teach?
What do your think are important questions?
What would you want to see in a table of Contents?

If possibele, for the time being, would like to keep this discussion thread
going here on EDU-SIG, because I agree multimedia is a key part of CPFF/CP4f
[for fun].... unless/until people object, in which case we can go off-list
as Art anticipated.

An interesting point Art raised was:
<quote>
..One lobbying for keeping math in a central place in CP4E efforts, and
seeing 3D visualization as a tool, but subserviant tool, in a curricla
designed
around mathematical concepts.
</quote>

I see it a little differently. Perhaps because I tend to think
structurally/spatially+visually much of the time, perhaps because I am not
very 'good' at Math even though I really love it - [something which always
perplexed my teachers in high school. I spent a lot of time folding paper
and using scissors from an early age].

I think it is important and helpful to distinguish between Structural
relationships and Math.. in order to show how they are also the same.

Teaching object-orientation can be done as well, arguably better, using for
example: architectural models, lighting attribuets, or choregraphy of
digital human puppets. For the same reason LOGO was based on fundamental
heads-up 'psychology'

Computer programming is symbolic model making and experimentation.
At some zen momements contrally to much popular wisdom, 'the world does
become the map' and vice versa.

This is seems truer in Math than almost any other domain.
Visualiztion/simulation, 3d modelling and computer graphics tools are
appropriate candidates, becuase they high-level abstractions/illusions, but
also implicitly made from other abstractions. Object-oriented APIs empower
and reveal this facet. Thus simple code both hides the comlextity and also
reveals how simple some things are, depending upon the context. In any
event, as species we are  tuned to be especially good at certain kinds of
pattern recognition. Any use of multimedia for CP4E/CP4F shoudl kepe this in
mind IMHO.

For example using various #D softawer will make one very aware of object
tree herieacrchies, geometric transformations etc. One might get lazy or tke
teh tolls for granted. But pure or common underlying abstractions and
patterns can be explored, as Kirby regularly demonstrates. The Greeks I
always imagine spent a lot of time on the beach at sunset with sticks,
strings and seashells.

I would like to extract the patterns within multimedia just as one might do
for 'Math'. I am far from convinced that Math is central. Essential yes, but
I follow the line that it is pattern recognition and structural [=clear]
thinking which are the heart of CP4E.

CP4E msut help people to recognize the patterns as well as to create them.
The more perspectives [points of view], the better.

Hoping some of you will pick up on where these ideas go and help improve
upon it.

./Jason