[Edu-sig] Python and serial port

Jason Cunliffe Jason Cunliffe" <jasonic@nomadicsltd.com
Sun, 3 Jun 2001 04:33:44 -0700

> Does anyone on this list happen to know if there are Python modules for
> communicating through a serial port with external devices?  Linux and
> Windoze, please.
> Thanks,
> Dick S.

No experience myself with this, but coinciedentally may need to very soon
for a project. So please let me know if you find how to do this

The Vaults of Parnassus is your best bet but it may be worth to look at
PyGame

http://www.pygame.org/

I know they have Joystick device API in there for example
http://pygame.seul.org/docs/ref/pygame_joystick.html

and PyGame is cross platform. PyGame is aiming at higher level device stuff,
but perhaps you want lower level. People on the PyGame forums could help you
better I imagine

Also there is some MIDI Python code. Alas not too much decent Python MIDI
stuff out there but what there is probably helpful.

http://taz3.hyperreal.org/~est/python/MIDI/

http://www2.hku.nl/~simon2/python/
This is more recent [17-Jan-2001 01:18]
To enable midi->python for driving Blender I think
but no python source code - cpp and pyd only.

Crosspatform serialsupport appears to be messy in Pyhon. Needs different
libraries for each implementation I suspect.

People working with GPS have no doubt trodden this serial i/o path already.
The only link I can find about this at Parnasus is old and dead :-(
http://www.vex.net/parnassus/apyllo.py?i=43251746
But it mention's Roger Burnhams work:
http://starship.python.net/crew/roger/

Last but not least there's recent thread starting at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/python-list/message/122108

which mentions this posix python module
ftp://ftp.visi.com/users/grante/python/PosixSerial.py

and also Roger Burnhams page :-)

good luck

./Jason