[Edu-sig] re: More spillover re the division PEP

Kirby Urner pdx4d@teleport.com
Sun, 29 Jul 2001 09:39:30 -0700

>vided by 3?"  She will answer, "3".
>
>Grade school students learn long division, which is divmod() in Python -
>it returns a dividend and a remainder.  So she will answer (3,1) ;)
>
>Dave

I agree.  They say "3 remainder 1" -- gradeschoolers don't just
toss the remainder.

Although integer division is useful, it's more obscure than
regular floating point.  Even though converting / to floating,
and using // for integer return is going to break more code,
I think it's better in the long run, for all the new code
as yet unwritten.

There's some pain in changing such a basic, primitive feature
in a language already in production.  Going to case-insensitivity
would have been an even bigger nightmare.  I'm OK with Guido
pushing ahead with the above, and am glad the CI issue is
being dropped.

Kirby