[Edu-sig] Re: Student Assignment Styles

Jeff Sandys sandysj@juno.com
Fri, 30 Nov 2001 16:06:50 -0800

Bryce Embry writes:
> ... I'm learning a lot of the material as we go along
> (I'm a few steps ahead of the students, but not far).
> ... I've been using what I consider to be smaller projects and am
> wondering if fewer, larger projects would be better for my kids. ...

I admire your courage for going ahead with Python without a
syllabus, I am still using Logo for middle school students.

Since I believe that programming is a craft (not an art or science)
we call our after school programming club a Guild.  Apprentices
learn what the tools are and how to use them.  Journeymen work on
small projects at my suggestion or as part of a larger project.
At this stage they are developing their craft and learning the
why of their tools.  Once they demonstrate an understanding of
programming they become a Master.  As a Master they write their
own programs and ask teachers if there is something that they
could develop for them and their classes, such as a physics
simulator or the animal game for understanding classification.
All this apprentice, journeyman, master stuff is informal,
I don't give tests or allow hazing, the students seem to know
what level they are.

I strongly encourage the students to work in pairs and teams
but allow for loners, who usually will join in the fun later.
I'm not sure if this helps, since I volunteer to run this club
there is no pressure on me for the students academic performance.

Thanks,
Jeff Sandys