[Edu-sig] Python Comp Sci course.

Robert Rickenbrode II rkr_ii@yahoo.com
Fri, 24 Aug 2001 11:59:12 -0400

Hey folks, I"m gearing up to teach a Python-based computer science course.
I just spent about a week chugging through the list archives (almost quit
at the case-sensitivity debates ;) ).  I have a few questions:

1. At several points in the past, people have offered to maintain or posted
sites hosting lesson plans.  Is there a site for these? Where is it? (For
example, this one, http://www.ibiblio.org:420/Zope/Python given in December
of last year does not work.)

2. I'm interested in doing some kind of iterative instruction using one
project to illustrate a lot of the characteristics and functionality of the
language.  For example (after Lutz):
- start with a simple, hard-coded dictionary of names/addresses (an
addressbook). Print them out.
- add a simple, text-based UI, allowing user to add, delete, edit entries
(input/output/UI)
- complexify the data stored and move to file based storage (file io, data
stores)
- add ability to sort (without built-in methods, to learn the algorithms)
- add ability to find (more algorithms)
- then, move to a GUI?
and then....
(I've got lots of ideas - net-based sharing, file input/output, move to a
web-based CGI system, etc - just wondering what people think.  Also, would
this excite students?)

3. I'd like to include a significant amount of history in the class.  Can
anyone recommend texts related the two main branches of computer science
I'd like the talk about:  the history of "calculation", including ancient
devices like the abacus, quipu, slide-rule (grin) and the theory of
numbers/counter/arithmetic, and the history of the computer, focusing on
the 20th century?

Thoughts, suggestions, comments, references?

4. I'm wondering what people have done for large-scale projects... I'm
thinking along these lines:
- a primitive sketch/draw program (nice GUI and object lessons here)
- a CGI system for the school (alumni database)
- Tic-Tac-Toe (with AI), of course
- other games (NIM, etc.)
- local school chat program

Of course I will let the kids make suggestions also, I'm just wondering
where people have gone with this.

Thanks much, Rob

Robert K. Rickenbrode II
rkr_ii@yahoo.com