[Edu-sig] Update: Python & the "Math Wars"

Arthur Siegel siegel@eico.com
Tue, 4 Apr 2000 12:52:37 -0400

Kirby -

Welcome back - truly.

Kirby writes -

>Numeracy and computer literacy should be convergent goals in the early
grades,
>when our concern is to not overspecialize.  I'm with the
>reformers when they say "curriculum integration is the name
>of the game".

As usual (with our notable exceptions) I'm in fundamental agreement with
you.  I was in fact planning to post up here
an excerpt from one of your posts to the Math-Ed list (linked from your
site) where you press this point.

My goal in doing so would not have been so much to make your specific point
(which I happen to agree with), but to try to
stimulate some discussion here about the context in the curriculum where
learning programming fits.
A math extension? (seems right to me) A science extension (Let's 'build
radios', maybe).  Standalone?

I do believe this is a fundamental issue to address.

ART