[Python Edinburgh] Python IDEs

Mark Smith mark.smith at practicalpoetry.co.uk
Mon Oct 25 15:09:03 CEST 2010

I use Pydev on Eclipse for anything larger than 2 or 3 python files, and
TextMate (Mac) or Notepad++(Windows) (or Vim) for anything else.

Dougal's right that Pydev's auto-completion can make life a lot easier if
you can't quite remember the name of a function, but Eclipse is a bit of a
behemoth.

I've heard mixed things about PyCharm, but it seems that they're putting a
lot of effort into it and it seems to be improving very rapidly (from a
reasonably good start). That opinion is mainly based on the experiences of
those trying out a Beta version (or was it a Release Candidate) around me at
EuroPython. Is it worth paying for? Probably not, IMHO, but give the demo a
try and see for yourself.

--Mark