[docs] [issue37430] range is not a built-in function

Terry J. Reedy report at bugs.python.org
Thu Jun 27 12:19:19 EDT 2019

Terry J. Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> added the comment:

I presume you are referring to 8.3 of the language reference
https://docs.python.org/3/reference/compound_stmts.html#the-for-statement
which has "the built-in function range()".  Types/classes *are* functions, which is why dist, list, range, etc are listed in "Built-in Functions" in the library reference.  But I agree that the more specific term should be used.

To me, the more severe problem is with the complete sentence.

"Hint: the built-in function range() returns an iterator of integers suitable to emulate the effect of Pascal’s for i := a to b do; e.g., list(range(3)) returns the list [0, 1, 2]."

The now obsolete definition of Python in terms of the now obscure Pascal should be deleted here and anywhere else such remains.  I think the whole sentence should just be deleted.  The whole paragraph and example could otherwise be improved.

nosy: +terry.reedy
versions: +Python 3.9 -Python 3.5, Python 3.6