[docs] How do we find information about modules that aren't officially part of the python.org canon?

Julien Palard julien at palard.fr
Sun Jul 7 16:58:08 EDT 2019

Hi Bryan,

> I apologize for the length of this email. I wanted you to get a sense of what I mean when I ask, "How do we find information about modules that aren't officially part of the python.org canon?"

Try to write a shorter one next time, it consumes time and energy to read it. I'll try a short answer:

When I search the doc of say python3-cliff:

- I rewrite the name as "cliff" because I expect the "python3-" part come from the distro packaging, not a Python thing.
- I go to pypi.org/p/cliff (yes /p/ redirects to /project/ it's faster to type)
- I look if there's a "Documentation" link in the left menu or in the body (in this case, there is one: https://docs.openstack.org/cliff/latest/)
- If I don't find any, I look for a link to the source (often in the left menu).
- If there's no link to the source I search it using a search engine like duckduckgo "cliff source code" or even "cliff github".
- Once the source code found, I search around here, in the README, or a "docs/" directory, if it's github check if there's a Wiki page.
- At this point either I found the doc (>90% of the times) or I read the code because there is probably no doc, or I switch to another, better documented, lib.

Sometimes, `python -m pydoc cliff` may help too.

Bests,
--
Julien Palard
https://mdk.fr