[docs] [issue33233] Suggest third-party cmd2 module as alternative to cmd

Ned Deily report at bugs.python.org
Thu Apr 5 14:51:29 EDT 2018

New submission from Ned Deily <nad at python.org>:

The cmd module in the standard library has languished for many years.  In the mean time, third-party replacements for it have arisen.  Perhaps the most popular is cmd2 which seems to be actively maintained, provides upward compatibility from cmd along with many desirable new features, and is permissively licensed.

I suggest we consider at a minimum adding a "See also:" note referencing cmd2 to the cmd documentation in the Standard Library document, similar to what we do for the third-party "requests" module in the "urllib.request" documentation.

We could be even bolder and officially deprecate "cmd" and consider closing open enhancement issues for it on b.p.o.

https://pypi.org/project/cmd2/
https://cmd2.readthedocs.io/

assignee: docs at python
components: Documentation
messages: 315002
nosy: Catherine.Devlin, docs at python, lukasz.langa, ned.deily
priority: normal
severity: normal
status: open
title: Suggest third-party cmd2 module as alternative to cmd
versions: Python 3.8