[docs] [issue9842] Document ... used in recursive repr of containers

Raymond Hettinger report at bugs.python.org
Sun Oct 22 17:18:51 EDT 2017

Raymond Hettinger <raymond.hettinger at gmail.com> added the comment:

Since the appearance of reprs is not guaranteed.  I don't think this should be documented (because doing so makes it a guaranteed behavior).  In fact, the appearance has changed over time from ... to  [...] in and may change at some point to <...> so that it can't be confused with an actual Ellipsis object.  At best this should be a FAQ entry or we can defer to behaviors that are documented and guaranteed (such as reprlib.recursive_repr() and its default fillvalue).

I concur with David Murray that the Ellipsis object should be indexed and cross-referenced.

nosy: +rhettinger