[docs] [issue28403] Porting guide: disabling & warning on implicit unicode conversions

Petr Viktorin report at bugs.python.org
Mon Oct 10 09:08:10 EDT 2016

Petr Viktorin added the comment:

In portingguide [0] I could only recommend sitecustomize with a (possibly third-party) codec that emits warnings; not 'undefined'.

The things that aren't ported yet are generally either Non-Python applications with Python bindings or plugins (Gimp, Samba, ...), projects that are very large relative to the count of available maintainers (VCSs, Sugar, wxPython, ...), or code that depends on those.

If sys.setdefaultencoding('undefined') breaks parts of the standard library, it might be OK for smaller scripts but I fear it won't help big projects much.

[0] http://portingguide.readthedocs.io/en/latest/