[docs] [issue8840] truncate() semantics changed in 3.1.2

A.M. Kuchling report at bugs.python.org
Sun Nov 6 15:28:31 EST 2016

A.M. Kuchling added the comment:

"Why, this is a simple docstring change.  How difficult can it be?", I thought.

Ah ha ha ha.

Here's a patch against the 3.5 branch. It should also apply cleanly to 3.6 or 3.7, except for a little Argument Clinic noise.

The patch changes 3 occurrences of the truncate() docstring in Lib/_pyio.py, and 1 each in Modules/_io/{bytesio.c,fileio.c,iobase.c,stringio.c}.  Whew!  Do we want to change all of these occurrences, or just the one specific case of StringIO?  It seemed to me that we want to change them all.

nosy: +akuchling
Added file: http://bugs.python.org/file45375/issue8840.txt