[docs] [issue25275] Documentation v/s behaviour mismatch wrt integer literals containing non-ASCII characters

R. David Murray report at bugs.python.org
Wed Sep 30 15:16:34 CEST 2015

R. David Murray added the comment:

Apparently that documentation is simply wrong.  The actual definition of what 'int' handles is *different* from what the parser handles.  I think that difference must constitute a bug (not just a doc bug), but I'm not sure if it is something that we want to fix (changing the parser).

I think the *operational* definition of int conversion for both is the same as for isdigit in python3 (https://docs.python.org/3/library/stdtypes.html#str.isdigit).  (The python2 docs just say '8 bit strings may be locale dependent', which means the same thing but is less precise).

>>> १२३४
  File "<stdin>", line 1
    १२३४
       ^
SyntaxError: invalid character in identifier
>>> int('१२३४')
1234
>>> '१२३४'.isdigit()
True

The above behavior discrepancy doesn't apply to python2, since in python2 you can't use unicode in integer literals.

So, this is a bit of a mess :(.

The doc fix is simple: just replace the mention of integer literal with a link to isdigit, and fix the python2 isdigit docs to match python3's.

nosy: +r.david.murray
stage:  -> needs patch
type:  -> behavior
versions: +Python 2.7, Python 3.4, Python 3.5, Python 3.6