[docs] [issue16785] Document the fact that constructing OSError with erron returns subclass if possible

Martin Panter report at bugs.python.org
Mon Oct 26 23:56:56 EDT 2015

Martin Panter added the comment:

Hopefully revision cb554248ce54 is good enough to close this. The documentation now says

'''
The constructor often actually returns a subclass of OSError, as described in “OS exceptions” below. The particular subclass depends on the final “errno” value. This behaviour only occurs when constructing OSError directly or via an alias, and is not inherited when subclassing.
'''

Serhiy’s first case does not set the “errno” attribute (by design I assume). In the second case, I suspect the behaviour has changed since 2012, or it depends on the platform. On Windows, the 'spam' argument is meant to become “winerror”, which can override “errno” if it is an integer. 3.6 on Linux:

>>> OSError(errno.ENOENT, 'error msg', 'filename', 'spam')
FileNotFoundError(2, 'error msg')

resolution:  -> fixed
stage: needs patch -> resolved
status: open -> closed