[docs] Possible exceptions not clearly detailed in Python 2.7.10 documentation

Wood, Connor Connor.Wood at controlsdata.com
Mon Oct 12 15:25:47 CEST 2015

Hi,

Today, I had difficulty outfitting my code with error detection and handling, owing primarily to the fact that, in the documentation, there is little indication of what the possible errors, and sub-error codes, can be thrown with each function. In many circumstances, I had to resort to various tidbits of knowledge around the Web.

I appreciate that, in many cases, the errors thrown are common sense (file doesn't exist, directory is read only, etc.), however there are a lot of cases where this is not immediately clear, and there is no clear place wherein the common errors are clearly detailed.

I do not know the state of more recent versions of the documentation, as I was solely working with the 2.7.10 version. That said, fixes with Python 3+ docs aren't as useful to myself and many others, as I am using version 2.7, and am unable to switch.

Many thanks,

Connor Wood
Software Engineering Intern

Rolls-Royce Controls and Data Services Limited
York Road
Hall Green
Birmingham
B28 8LN

This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient or have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply of e-mail and destroy all paper and electronic copies of the message.  If assistance is required please contact  it.security at controlsdata.com.  Please note distribution, disclosure of content or copying of this e-mail is prohibited.

Rolls-Royce Controls and Data Services Limited may intercept or monitor email traffic, data and also the content of email for operational reasons or for lawful business practices.

Registered office at Moor Lane, PO Box 31, Derby, DE24 8BJ. Company number 6686268. Registered in England.