[docs] [issue23406] interning and list comprehension leads to unexpected behavior

Abraham Smith report at bugs.python.org
Sat Feb 7 14:37:06 CET 2015

Abraham Smith added the comment:

Thanks for the helpful responses and correcting my misunderstanding.

Regarding improved documentation, I see now that the table at https://docs.python.org/2/library/stdtypes.html#id2 indeed says "shallow copies"; however, the footnote seems to bury the lede.   Perhaps the footnote should be expanded to either link to the FAQ entry or provide an abbreviated version of it.

The FAQ entry is actually very good, but I would guess that most readers (like me) skip the FAQs and jump straight to the library reference.    Internet users have been trained for 20 years to believe that FAQs are full of useless, snarky answers to questions at a much shallower level, like "what do I do with a .tar.gz file?".  The fact that Python's FAQ is extremely well-written and helpful is a pleasant surprise, but a surprise none-the-less.

resolution: not a bug ->