[docs] [issue14191] argparse doesn't allow optionals within positionals

paul j3 report at bugs.python.org
Sat May 3 03:23:26 CEST 2014

paul j3 added the comment:

I encountered a conflict when merging this patch with http://bugs.python.org/issue15112.  In my first testcase, 'cmd' and 'rest' failed the 'required' test in phase one of 'intermixed'.  That's because 15112 postponed parsing them (with nargs=0/suppressed).

I got around that by temporarily setting the 'required' attribute to False.

The whole issue of when (or even whether) a positional that is satisfied with 0 arguments, is consumed, is a bit messy.