[docs] Sloppy example at sect 8.3 of Python 2.7.3 tutorial

Sandro Tosi sandro.tosi at gmail.com
Sun Jul 1 19:35:36 CEST 2012

Hello Greg,
thanks for your email.

On Sat, Jun 23, 2012 at 11:51 PM, Greg Edwards <gedwards2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> At   http://docs.python.org/release/2.7.3/tutorial/errors.html    sect 8.3,
> the first example block should ask the user for an "integer", not just a
> "number". I happily entered 1.23 without thikning too much and it failed.

If you enter 1.23 you've just tested the except branch:

>>> while True:
...     try:
...         x = int(raw_input("Please enter a number: "))
...         break
...     except ValueError:
...         print "Oops!  That was no valid number.  Try again..."
Please enter a number: 1.23
Oops!  That was no valid number.  Try again...
Please enter a number:

As far as I can see, the example works as expected, and there's
nothing wrong with it (not even the imprecise indication of what
number to enter).

Cheers,