[docs] bug in Functional Programming HOWTO

Eli Bendersky eliben at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 05:40:18 CET 2011

2011/11/21 Eli Bendersky <eliben at gmail.com>:
> 2011/11/20 Michał Chałupczak <michal at pykonik.org>:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have found small bug in Functional Programming HOWTO. In section
>> http://docs.python.org/howto/functional.html#python-specific In the last
>> sentence there are some links given. The two first point to resource that
>> does not exist.
>>
>> The first link, "part 1", points to
>> http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-prog.html but should point to
>> http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-prog.html.
>> The second link, "part 2" points to
>> http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-prog2.html but should point to
>> http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-prog2/index.html.
>>
>> Those are really small mistakes and I am sure that everyone fix them on
>> their own when reading documentation. Nevertheless it would be nice if there
>> are no errors in python doc at all.
>>
>> Regards,
>> michał chałupczak
>
> Hi Michał,
>
> Thanks for the report - the links are indeed broken. However, I wonder
> whether there's sense to provide these links at all, given that the
> article was written in 2001. The code samples there don't work with
> Python 3.x at all, AFAICS. Perhaps it will be best to remove these
> links altogether?

Looking a bit more into it, there's a deeper problem. The 'functional'
module mentioned all over this HOWTO doesn't appear to have been
ported to Python 3 at all,
(http://oakwinter.com/code/functional/download.html), so (at least)
the 3.x version of the HOWTO is wrong not only in terms of links.

I have opened http://bugs.python.org/issue13443 to track this.

Eli