[docs] Issue: no reference to bytes alias in documentation for 2.6.x and 2.7 (related to closed issue 1865)

Sam Thompson python at samthompson.com
Wed Aug 3 11:57:39 CEST 2011

Hi,

I'm new to Python so might have the wrong end of the stick, however I
noted that although the py3k porting documentation (e.g. at
http://docs.python.org/dev/py3k/howto/pyporting.html) says that both
python 2.6 and 2.7 support use of b"xxx" style literals, there's no
mention of it in any of the 2.6.x documentation for literals (e.g.
http://docs.python.org/release/2.6.7/reference/lexical_analysis.html#id7).

I found a closed bug in the issue tracker
(http://bugs.python.org/issue1865) which appears to originally have
covered this issue but the version was changed to 2.7 before it was
resolved (although it's also not fixed in 2.7's version at
http://docs.python.org/release/2.7/reference/lexical_analysis.html#id7,
but is fixed in 2.7.1 and 2.7.2).

It looks like the solution used for 2.7.1+ would be appropriate for the
older versions, since there do not appear to be other substantial
changes to this part of the documentation between these versions.

Regards,
Sam.
--
Sam Thompson.