[docs] [issue8913] Document that datetime.__format__ is datetime.strftime

Alexander Belopolsky report at bugs.python.org
Sun Jun 6 23:06:19 CEST 2010

Alexander Belopolsky <belopolsky at users.sourceforge.net> added the comment:

The problem I have with strftime %-format codes is that according to BSD manual page they have already ran out of English alphabet and still "there is no conversion specification for the phase of the moon." :-)

On a serious note, there are no codes to format TZ offset hours and minutes separately which precludes specifying an important RFC 3339 format.

I think we should take this opportunity to define a comprehensive mini-language for datetime formatting rather than slavishly reuse strftime.

The new mini-language may end up to be a superset of that for strftime, but I would rather not commit to supporting %-codes indefinitely.