[Doc-SIG] Coordinating zh_TW (Taiwanese Mandarin) Translations

Julien Palard julien at palard.fr
Sat May 26 10:13:56 EDT 2018

> I don't know that "tw" is valid IETF language tag or not. If so, the
> repository name will be github.com/python/python-docs-tw

"tw" is the language tag for Twi (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twi), we can't use it for this translation.
"zh" is the language tag for Chinese, it can be followed by subtags. "TW" is the region subtag for Taiwan.

So if "Chinese as spoken in Taiwan" is the language Adrian is translating, the repository will be named "python-docs-zh-tw".

According to PEP 545 (and BCP-47) we should *not* use subtags if it does not add usefull information. Typically "fr-FR" "French as spoken in France" is kind of redundent and should be simplified "fr".

So can we simplify "zh-tw" to "zh"? I don't think so, as there is another project, "zh-cn" (https://zhsj.github.io/python-docs-zh-cn/), but as I don't speak chinese, I think Adrian also have its word on it.

​--
Julien Palard
https://mdk.fr​