[Doc-SIG] readability of sample programs in tutorial

Xuan Wu fromwheretowhere.service at gmail.com
Sat May 12 16:11:56 EDT 2018

Hi Steve,

actually I suspected the same at the first sight, but after realizing
"Guido" is the creator, I dug the python source code history and found
out he actually drafted this sample himself around 1991. Then I found in
his resume that:

 > From 1986 till 1991 I was with the Amoeba project, headed by Sape
Mullender

Sape's phone back then at CWI was |+20-592 4139. |
After that I found another colleague of them is Jack Jansen, with phone
And 20-592-4127 might be a shared phone number, as it was listed as
overall contact number in some of CWI's publications, so likely Guido
and Irv (not sure who that refers to, which bothers me a bit still, but
I can live with it) both used that at some time, which is also shown in
the sample program.

So, 'tel' seems to be a sample telephone book of CWI, with only the last
4 digits.

The program's meaning becomes obvious only after all this history study.
It was fun for sure, but IMO most readers won't go that far, as I didn't
find any of such explanations online so far.

Best,
Xuan.