[Doc-SIG] readability of sample programs in tutorial

Xuan Wu fromwheretowhere.service at gmail.com
Fri May 11 12:40:29 EDT 2018

Hi,

when reading some of the sample codes in the official tutorial, I had to
do research to understand the background of naming and string constants,
like those strings from the script of Monty Python. Still this one in
$5.5 is the most challenging so far:

>>>tel  =  {'jack':  4098,  'sape':  4139}
>>>tel['guido']  =  4127
>>>tel
{'sape': 4139, 'guido': 4127, 'jack': 4098}
>>>tel['jack']
4098 ...

I did quite some digging to confirm my guess of the hidden meaning,
during which I realized it was initially written 27 years ago, without
much change so far. Now I'm curious if its meaning is obvious to most
nowadays beginners even as English speakers.

In general, I wonder if there was discussion of revising some sample
programs for better readability or adding more comments/introductory texts?

Thanks.