[Doc-SIG] Translating sample programs in documentation

INADA Naoki songofacandy at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 07:18:59 EDT 2018

On Wed, Apr 18, 2018 at 7:54 PM, Xuan Wu
<fromwheretowhere.service at gmail.com> wrote:
> If example codes are included in message files, what will happen if one
> locale chooses not to translate them? If they will just show as original
> codes, I don't see problem there. I imagine part of the extra work is to
> convert existing PO files to new ones. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but
> over top of my head it's achievable by some script.

It's difficult to distinguish example code and others on Transifex.

We're targeting 100% translation on Transifex, but it's impossible if
example codes are included and Japanese team doesn't translate it.

> Instead of just my personal preference, benefits of using identifiers in
> native languages seem to have been proven long time ago, as stated in the
> rationale part of PEP 3131.

I think "enabling" to do it and "encouraging" to do it have different bar.
So I don't agree PEP 3131 is enough reason to do it.

> Pitifully I've not seen any active member from
> Chinese translation team here yet.

There is no official team yet, but there is zh_CN team on the Transifex.
See https://www.transifex.com/python-doc/teams/5390/zh_CN/

I think there is an active community because there are
many Python developers in China.
Please build active language team there.  Without official language team,
we won't add Chinese translation to docs.python.org.

Regards,