[Doc-SIG] Translating sample programs in documentation

Xuan Wu fromwheretowhere.service at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 14:07:23 EDT 2018

Hi Nick,

> While I'm hesitant to suggest this (since I'm not sure how much extra
> work it would be, or if it's even practical at all), would it be
> feasible to provide two different variants of the Chinese tutorial
> translation, one that keeps the original "online open source
> collaboration defaults to English for historical reasons" examples,
> and another that also translates the code comments, variable names,
> and string content in the examples?
Thanks for the suggestion. There might be some devil in the details,
like how to name the repositories. According to PEP 545 IETF Language
Tag is used for each language. If two versions are kept, there may need
some extra tag for each. Another alternative would be an additional
language switcher in the UI of documentation page for programs only, but
surely that's extra work and may make UI cumbersome. Not to mention the
question of which version is set as default in the switcher.

IMHO those who prefer to read original sample programs usually have
fluency in English to read the original version of the tutorial.
Nonetheless, as a workaround, they can still open another tab in the
browser to have the English version on the side. So it seems to me can
be deferred till there's a clear requirement for it.

> One of the strengths of Python as a programming language is that it
> not only enables sharing between programmers around the world, but
> also between Python programmers and experts in other domains. So even
> beyond the question of which is easier to learn, if someone is
> preparing something like a Jupyter notebook, and their primary
> audience is folks that don't speak English as their preferred
> language, then it may make sense to use as many native terms as
> possible, and only use English for the Python keywords. A fully
> translated tutorial (examples and all) helps make that capability
> clearer for everyone, not only beginners.

I can't agree more. In my view it'll be good advocate for using
identifiers in native languages, which PEP 3131 initially designed for.

Thanks,
Xuan.