[Doc-SIG] [PEP 545] Translations coordinators

Julien Palard julien at palard.fr
Tue Jun 6 08:19:14 EDT 2017

Hi,

If you didn't seen it already, PEP 545 about officializing translations of the Python documentation have been accepted!

This is now the appropriate mailing list to discuss those subjects, and we have an IRC channel on freenode: #python-doc.

I'm currently writing a "current status" of the translations at https://mdk.fr/blog/python-documentation-translation.html if you want to follow what we're currently doing.

While waiting for the PSF to provide the Documentation Contribution Agreement, we may start by listing coordinators for each languages and creating appropriate repositories.
If you want to become a coordinator for your language please publicly ask for it here. There is no rules so here are the rules:

- Your proposition as becoming a coordinator is more credible if you actually did something about the translation (we may help setting up a repository, transifex, and so on, just ask).
- If there is more than one person asking to be coordinator of a same language, you'll have to locally find a way to settle this, in other words, there is no authority or rules deciding for you: each countries are considered autonomous.

The main role of the coordinator is to bridge between the local team (automonous, with its own organization, tools, ways of working) and the official documentation. This is technically done by a github repository in the python github organization, see https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0545/#create-github-repository / https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0545/#repository-for-po-files. A more precise overview of the coordinator role is here : https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0545/#language-team.

Bests,
--
Julien Palard
https://mdk.fr