[Doc-SIG] greetings from new volunteer and question about documentation needs

Serdar Tumgoren zstumgoren at gmail.com
Sun Oct 11 18:34:55 CEST 2009

Hi everyone!

I'm new to the Python volunteer community, and another member
suggested that helping out with documentation is a great way to get
started.

A bit of background on me: I'm a journalist who recently made the
shift to full-time database work for Congressional Quarterly, a news
organization based in Washington, D.C. I started dabbling with Python
two years ago, and now have the good fortune to use it daily in my
work.  Python and its community have helped me enormously, so I
figured it's time to give something back.

I've started reading the style guide for documentation writers, but I
wasn't able to dig up a list of projects or priorities that need
doing. Is there such a list? If not, should we start one on the
doc-sig page of the Python wiki?

http://www.python.org/community/sigs/current/doc-sig/

For me, such a list would help focus my efforts on the genuine needs
of the community.  And it could help others who'd like to contribute
but are not sure where to begin.

So please let me know what you think about the idea of a priority
list, or better yet, reply back with specific project ideas or needs.

And of course, if such a list already exists, just point me to it.
I'll be happy to help out.

Regards,

Serdar Tumgoren