[Doc-SIG] Why isn't docutils in the Python standard library yet?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Fri Jan 2 06:51:42 CET 2009

ex cord wrote:
> Personally, I think it should be the other way around. If all the
> Python devs are using reST everywhere anyway, it would be in their
> best interest for them to just say, "look, we use it, we like it,
> we've actually all become addicted to using it, and everyone else is
> using it too, so let's work out some way to get it in Python for the
> next release, eh?"

Actually, we cheat a bit and drag a copy of docutils into our Docs
source tree via an external subversion reference:

~/devel/python/Doc/tools$ svn info docutils
Repository Root: http://svn.python.org/projects
Repository UUID: 6015fed2-1504-0410-9fe1-9d1591cc4771
Revision: 66083
Node Kind: directory
Schedule: normal
Last Changed Author: georg.brandl
Last Changed Rev: 56857
Last Changed Date: 2007-08-10 01:52:00 +1000 (Fri, 10 Aug 2007)

In light of the existence of Sphinx as a higher layer built on top of
docutils that is appropriate for Python's own documentation, perhaps the
lower level goals considered appropriate before targeting standard
library inclusion need to be reconsidered.

Cheers,
Nick.