[Doc-SIG] autogenerating API docs using sphinx

Ondrej Certik ondrej at certik.cz
Wed Apr 23 01:56:12 CEST 2008

On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 11:47 AM, Georg Brandl <g.brandl at gmx.net> wrote:
> Ondrej Certik schrieb:
>

> > Hi,
>  >
>  > I wrote a short script for autogenerating API from sources, the output
>  > are .rst files that sphinx can parse and generate the docs in the
>  > modules/index sections.
>  >
>  > Unfortunately, if the docstrings are not written in rst, it's not
>  > going to work properly. Also it uses python inspection (it's easy to
>  > implement), instead of parsing the source files directly.
>  >
>  > I am putting it here in case you find it useful. I wrote it for sympy
>  > originally, but we are not using it yet, because the output contains
>  > too much noise.
>  >
>  > Please let me know if you improve it/fix it. :)
>
>  What does it do differently from autodoc, and could autodoc be extended
>  to cover your usecase as well?

You mean autodoc in sphinx?

I want to get a documentation of all classes+methods and functions in
all files in sympy automatically (we have a lot of .py files and I
don't want to handle each of them manually). I didn't figure it out
how this could be done in autodoc. But if you look at my script, it's
really simple, so the autodoc definitely can be extended.

But the script currently produces quite a lot of noise (some empty
classes, etc.) in the output. It needs to be improved.

Ondrej