[Doc-SIG] The docs, reloaded

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Tue May 22 06:08:01 CEST 2007

John Gabriele wrote:
> I'm fairly new to reST, and don't know all the ins and outs of it, but
> I'd always just assumed that either there is or there will be a simple
> way to escape to TeX math notation. That is, such that when you run
> ``rst2latex``, your equations will come through unscathed. And when
> you run ``rst2html``, well, probably png's will get generated and the
> html will just link to them as inline images (of course, you'll need a
> TeX implementation installed for that).

You can do something like:

.. raw::: latex
    (expression)

You'll have to provide your html equivalent on your own (with .. raw::
html).  A directive could be created that would render a latex
expression as an image in other contexts; I don't know if one exists.
It's possible it already does somewhere.