[Doc-SIG] The docs, reloaded

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Mon May 21 02:00:04 CEST 2007

Neal Becker wrote:

> There is an effort as part of numpy to come up with a new system using
> docstrings.  It seems to me it would be unfortunate if these two efforts
> were not coordinated.

I don't think so. The issue with numpy is getting our act together and making
parseable docstrings for auto-generated API documentation using existing tools
or slightly modified versions thereof. No one is actually contemplating building
a new tool. AFAICT, Georg's (excellent) work doesn't address that use. I don't
think there is anything to coordinate, here. Provided that Georg's system
doesn't place too many restrictions on the reST it handles, we could use the
available reST math options if we wanted to use Georg's system.

I'd much rather see Georg spend his time working on the docs for the Python
language and the feature set it requires. If the numpy project needs to extend
that feature set, we'll provide the manpower ourselves.

--
Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco