[Doc-SIG] Great job on new docs; small error report included

Andre Roberge andre.roberge at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 06:54:21 CEST 2007

Hi everyone,

First of all, congrats to Georg Brandl and whomever else helped him in
getting the docs in the new format; it looks *much* better.

In perusing the doc (using a development version of Crunchy) I found
some small mistakes in the way that it was formatted.  I've included
my notes in a rather cryptic fashion - if needed (and if I get the
time), I could probably get a proper bug report but I'd rather not
wait until then and risk forgetting about it.

==========
in both
http://docs.python.org/dev/tutorial/controlflow.html
and
http://docs.python.org/dev/3.0/tutorial/controlflow.html

last code example
-----begin code-----
>>> def my_function():
...     """Do nothing, but document it.
...     No, really, it doesn't do anything....
   """
...     pass
>>> print my_function.__doc__
Do nothing, but document it.

   No, really, it doesn't do anything.
-----------end-------

Note how the continuation line "..." are misplaced after the word "anything".
(The source file is ok - this is *much* easier to see on the page than
in this email).  This seems to be a parsing bug in the tool used to
create the html page.

=======
http://docs.python.org/dev/tutorial/stdlib.html
http://docs.python.org/dev/3.0/tutorial/stdlib.html

under Internet access
-----
>>> import urllib2
>>> for line in urllib2.urlopen('http://tycho.usno.navy.mil/cgi-bin/timer.pl'):
...     if 'EST' in line or 'EDT' in line:  # look for Eastern Time
...         print line

<BR>Nov. 25, 09:43:32 PM EST

>>> import smtplib
>>> server = smtplib.SMTP('localhost')
>>> server.sendmail('soothsayer at example.org', 'jcaesar at example.org',
"""To: jcaesar at example.org
From: soothsayer at example.org

Beware the Ides of March.
""")
>>> server.quit()
------------

The "..." are missing before each line of the triple quoted string.
(The error is in the source file)

Aside: I could not get the second example to work on my Mac (it gave
me a traceback when I tried to create a server)
Suggestion for changes:
in http://docs.python.org/dev/3.0/tutorial/controlflow.html  (twice on
that page)
http://docs.python.org/dev/3.0/tutorial/errors.html  (once on that page)

There is no need to define raw_input(); simply use input(), which will
effectively have the same role that raw_input() currently has.

Hope it helps,

André (Roberge)