[Doc-SIG] docutils, ReST, and pydoc

John M. Gabriele john_sips_tea at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 6 19:07:32 CET 2006

Holy mackerel! I just read a good portion of PEP 287
http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0287.html and it seems
clear to me that I should be able to put reStructured
text right into my docstrings and then read them nicely
rendered with the pydoc command.

Is it a foregone conclusion that this functionality
will soon be built into standard Python?

If so, how long until that happens? What sticking points
are we currently facing?

I took a brief look at the docutils page. Is it possible
that the project has bitten off more than it can chew? That
is, it looks like they're building a very general tool,
whereas Python may simply need to have pydoc properly render
ReST in docstrings so I can run "pydoc some_module" and
get some nice manpage-style (perldoc style) documentation
right there in my terminal.

Thanks,
---John