[Doc-SIG] First draft of Functional HOWTO

A.M. Kuchling amk at amk.ca
Fri Jun 30 23:57:23 CEST 2006

I've finally completed a first draft of a Functional Programming HOWTO
that discusses the language feature and modules that are useful
in functional-style programs.

The draft is at <http://www.amk.ca/python/writing/functional>; this
won't be its permanent home, because once it's done it'll go in
Doc/howto/ in the distribution.

I'd greatly appreciate comments on it.  It still feels somehow
incomplete, like more of the general material is needed, but I'm not
sure what to add.

I wrote a small but nontrivial functional program as an example --
it's in sandbox/Doc in SVN -- but I'm not sure dissecting an example
is very useful.  The resulting section would be fairly long, and I
haven't come up with an example that exercises every single feature
(e.g. most of the \ functions in the itertools module).

A more minor issue: perhaps the HOWTO should describe genexps in
detail, and mention listcomps as an aside; this would be the oppposite
of how it's currently organized.  Thoughts?

--amk