[Doc-SIG] First draft of Functional HOWTO

Leandro Lameiro lameiro at gmail.com
Sat Jul 1 19:29:35 CEST 2006

Hello amk.

I've a few comments to your Functional Programming HOWTO.
It is only a few typos, the text is really good.

Here it goes:

1 - In the code sample below the text
"You can figure it out, but it takes time" ...
there is:

def combine (a, b):
    return 0, a[1] + b[1]

return reduce(combine_freq, items)[1]

the first parameter to reduce should read combine, not combine_freq
(or the def combine should read def combine_freq), right?

2 - At Small functions and the lambda statement section:

"Which alternative is preferable? That's a style question; my general
view is to avoid it."
I'm not a native english speaker, but, avoiding what? The style
question, the def or the lambda?

3 - Below Fredrik Lundh comments about refactoring lambdas:
"I really like these rules, but you're free todisagree that this style
is better."
to disagree. there is a blank space missing.

4 - in the first code sample of the same section:
"
stripped_lines = [line.strip for line in lines]
existing_files = filter(os.path.exists, file_list)
"
shouldn't it read stripped_lines = [line.strip() for line in lines]?
Or you really want a list of "built-in method strip"?

That's it. The text is very good! Congratulations.

--
Regards
Leandro Lameiro

Blog: http://lameiro.redirectme.net/blog