[Doc-SIG] proposal: a process for solving the Python Documentation Problem

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Sun Jan 8 15:22:31 CET 2006

Chad Whitacre wrote:

> 0. Agree on a problem-solving process. :^)

I'll check back in 2020 ;-)

In the meantime, using a small number of 15-minute slots, I'll implement
a first draft of a pythondoc/edit-through-the-web solution for a wider
audience.

An outline follows:

> 1. Decide what documentation is in scope: Library Reference only?
>     Language Reference as well? Everything?

Library reference plus relevant portions of the language reference.

> 2. Brainstorm the end-user formats we might possibly want to read
>     documentation in: HTML, PDF, plain text, etc.

HTML (in this iteration).

> 3. Prioritize formats.

Done.

> 4. Crop the list to three or fewer primary target formats.

Done.

> 5. Define the information that needs to be encoded to support the given
>     formats.

Done.

> 6. Identify the storage format that best balances ease of migration,
>     maintenance, and authoring with adequacy to the task of encoding and
>     making accessible the necessary information.

Done ;-)

> 7. Build, borrow, or buy the tools to migrate, maintain, author, access,
>     and transform the information.

In progress.  I'll let you all know when there's something to play with.

</F>