[Doc-SIG] Improving the documenting process.

David Priest priest at sfu.ca
Tue Jan 3 09:57:33 CET 2006

On 2-Jan-06, at 8:03 PM, Chris Jerdonek wrote, in part:
> I wonder how wiki documentation compares to the best
> individually-written Python documentation -- if the style gets
> watered-down in the community process at all, and whether this
> dissuades any writers.

Using the wiki for documentation will only work well if there is a
structure for allowing a select group of editorial assistants to
control the "Real Documentation" (as opposed to the marginalia/
discussion/questions/suggestions/etc part that would be somehow
closely related to the "Real" -- perhaps via a Talk page, a la
Wikipedia; perhaps via some Plone-like construct.)

In other words, we need a way that presents the official, well-
written, well-presented material *separate* from the public noise;
and we need editors who will actively take the good stuff from that
noise and use it in improving the official text.