[Doc-SIG] Python docs in reST

Felix Wiemann Felix.Wiemann at gmx.net
Fri May 27 17:44:21 CEST 2005

Fred L. Drake, Jr. wrote:

> There are a number of other projects that use the LaTeX markup from
> Python; these are mostly related to Python in some way.  (These also
> create a reason to continue to maintain the LaTeX markup.)

The ability to output LaTeX code compatible to the current Python-docs
markup is a must-have for a Python-docs-in-reST implementation.  So the
existing LaTeX markup would still persist, even if Python's standard
documentation was converted to reST.

> [Docutils] certainly doesn't need to support it all out of the box,
> especially the constructs specific to documenting Python (or other OO
> programming languages).

Yes; an implementation of "reST for Python docs" would probably be
implemented as a plugin.  I doubt something like that will ever appear
in the Docutils core (so nobody needs to worry that standard-reST gets
cluttered because of that; even though the objection that much explicit
markup contradicts the goals of reST still stands).

> It would be nice to have the option of using it for documenting at
> least Python packages of small to moderate size, with support from an
> add-on library of text roles and directives.

Yes, that's what I was thinking of, too.

--
For private mail please ensure that the header contains 'Felix Wiemann'.

http://www.ososo.de/