[Doc-SIG] Python docs in reST

Michael Foord mike at pcblokes.com
Fri May 27 15:32:31 CEST 2005

Fred L. Drake, Jr. wrote:

>[snip..]
>
> > > Surely implementing a Python source reader (that works by introspection
> > > or whatever) that extracts docstrings and inserts it *into* a reST
> > > document (still a two pass process) would help as a short term measure.
>
>It shouldn't be too hard to implement a specialized URL scheme that converts
>an object reference to documentation text for some particular system.

I don't fully follow you Fred - do you mean a URL scheme that *docutils*
follows to retrieve the source text, or a URL scheme that another tool
recognises and replaces with the text (but still making the original
readable) ?

(or something else altogether ?)

I could knock up the second of these - inserting reST output into a
document with information about the object referenced. If I can get the
style right I could even investigate LaTex output (for insertion into
LaTex documents).

I would probably still do this with introspection - although I note the
frustration of Mark Williamson trying to use Epydoc to generate docs for
Twisted. It can't work for him *because* it uses introspection......

Ian's offering produces nice looking output in the page he references -
but the implementation seems tied to his paste framework.

Best Regards,

Fuzzy
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python